Variable speed drives (VSD) improve both energy efficiency and productivity when applied to constant-torque or variable-torque pump applications. In addition, VSDs improve overall system reliability by eliminating the need for control valves and bypass lines. When a VSD installation is connected into a Building Management System the significant improvements in energy and productivity, provided by the VSD, are easily demonstrated. But how do you know, just how much difference a VSD will make? That’s easily answered with a free Pump Optimisation Assessment from IDS.
The industries pump applications that we have achieved large energy costs and CO2 savings include:
- Water Treatment & Sewage
- General fluid transfer
- Chemical & Petrochemical
- Paper & pulp
- Food & Beverage
- Power stations
- Recycling & Renewables
- Swimming pools & leisure centres
Pump Optimisation Assessment
We will arrange a mutually convenient time and date to visit your site. We will review your pump applications, the motors, environment, cabling and drive (if there are any fitted) and compile a report that will detail the recommended improvements.
No Inverters fitted to your applications?
To determine if a motor powered pump is running under optimal control, Inverter Drive Systems offer a Pump Optimisation Assessment.
What IDS look for during a Pump Optimisation Assessment:
- Pump applications that run for extended periods – even a small pump running for long periods could have significant energy saving opportunities by optimisation
- Suitability of existing control methods – DOL, Star-delta, Soft-start…
- Pump age and type
- Efficiency rating
- Run hours
- Frequency of operation
- Cost implications in the event of a failure
During the Pump Optimisation Assessment, we also consider the impact of:
- Cable lengths
- Type of pressure sensors fitted
- Communication options: ModBus, Profinet, Profibus, Ethernet, etc
The IDS engineer will identify system improvements and quantify potential for further benefits from a Variable Speed Drive (VSD) installation.
Already have inverters installed?
At Inverter Drive Systems, we not only specify, supply, install and commission ABB inverters; we also offer our services to appraise your previously installed inverters are fully optimised, regardless of manufacturer: ABB, Mitsubishi, Siemens, Schneider, etc.
You may have had inverters installed and set to a specific running limit due to time or cost constraints on initial install. It may be possible to further optimise and improve your process and your energy consumption. For example, resetting the inverter frequency from 50Hz to 40Hz equates to a small 20% speed reduction; but gives a huge 50% energy saving.
For Pump systems with inverters already installed we check:
- parameter settings – noting potential to optimise
- control technology
- operating periods, internal clock
- seasonal periods
- inverter lifecycle
- pump age and type
- previous fault history
- previous service history
- Firmware is up-to-date
- Suitability of new VSD application programmes. For example, by using the ABB ‘Soft Pipe Filling’ application for ACQ drives we can reduce the wear and tear on a pump motor and reduce leaks caused by pressure surges.
Book your FREE Pump Optimisation Assessment by calling Inverter Drive Systems on 0115 944 1036 or email email@example.com