Archimedean Screws are efficient, low-head, high-volume pumps that have been used for thousands of years. They are particularly useful for pumping liquids with high solids content. Previously it has been thought that inverter control of these Screws didn’t save energy, but we, at IDS have engineered a solution that does produce energy savings, as well as a number of other benefits:
The Benefits of Fitting Inverters to Archimedes’ Screws
- Energy Saving — by using our innovative inverter process control we can save 15% of the energy used by Archimedes’ screws. The typical ROI is around 18 months on energy saving alone.
- Reduced speed (typically 30%) during Dry Weather – this significantly increases the screws’ life and reduces maintenance costs. This may be the greatest overall benefit of inverter control.
- Reduced number of start – stops; this is because we can match the speed of the screw to the flow. Not only will this help mechanically but also smooth the onward flow, allowing processes to be more stable.
- Smooth starts (mechanical benefit) – this will reduce V belt slip and wear and stress on the mechanicals.
- Smooth starts (electrical benefit) – this will remove the high inrush currents and reduce the stress on all the electrical components. There would be no voltage dips either.
- Unity power factor – this can reduce the size of the electricity bill.
If you would like more information about The Benefits of Fitting Inverters to Archimedes’ Screws contact our engineers on 0115 9441036 or email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit. To view a Case Study for Inverters on Archimedes’ Screws click here.